World Skills Competition is the largest skill competition in the world, held once every two years in one of the WSI member countries. These competitions provide both a benchmark for high performance and an objective way to assess vocational excellence. Objective is to promote world class standards in over 50 skills under six skill strands as under:
- Construction and Building Technology
- Transportation and Logistics
- Manufacturing and Engineering Technology
- Information and Communication Technology
- Creative Arts and Fashion
- Social and Personal Services.
In 2021 the World Skills Competition will be held at Shanghai, China. Considering the World Skills Competition, India Skills Competition, a pan India championship of skills, is held in every alternate year. And in 2020 India Skills Competition will be held to cream off candidates from different trades, who will be representing the country at the Olympics of Skills at 2021.
II. India Skills Competition- Bihar 2020
Keeping in mind the India Skills Competition 2020 and eventual participation of candidates from Bihar in World Skills Competitions 2021 at Shanghai, the state level skills competition will be organized in the state in the month of January 2020 as mentioned in the timeline. The champions sprouting out of the State Skill Competition will harness their skills under the aegis of both state level experts and national level experts to participate in Regional Skills Competition then India Skills Competitions and eventually will represent the country at Shanghai in 2021.
The whole initiative has a two prong objective,
- The primary being Ensure participation of world class talent from Bihar in order to positively portray the skill ecosystem of Bihar at the Global Stage.
- The secondary is to create awareness amongst the youths of the state to take up skill development courses for an enhanced livelihood.
Identification of Relevant Courses
- Bearing in mind the training facility, geography and heritage of the state of Bihar, a total of 40 trades has been selected for the State Level Competition organized by the Bihar Skill development Mission.
- TThe courses have been selected after due discussions with the partnering organizations like CIPET - Hajipur, TRTC - Patna, NIFT - Patna, NEILIT - Patna, College of Art and Craft - Patna, NIT – Patna, IHM – Hajipur, Dept of Science & Technology, Department of Agriculture, Directorate of Employment and Training (ITIs), ITC – Munger and ICICI Academy for Skills.
Mobilization / Selection:
- For the smooth conduct of the competition it has been decided that the state will organize Preliminary screening in two rounds at institute level before State Skills Competition Bihar 2020 at State level.
- Selection process will be followed by two tiers- (a) at 1st level 20 competitors will be screened from total no. of registration from each trade (b) at 2nd level out of 20 candidates, 6-8 candidates will be finalized for State Skills Competition Bihar 2020.
Logistic and Academia / Training support:
- In order to ensure widespread popularity and audience participation eventually resulting in an increased spectrum of participation in the coming years, the state skill competition across most of the trades will be held at central location in a single venue.
- The Premier Technical Institutions and Art Colleges partnering with state will be in charge for providing with the infrastructure for training purpose and also to offer experts to train the candidates in the trades chosen by the state.
Post State Level Championship support:
Once the state skill champions emerge out of the state level skills competitions, it will be the joint effort of state as well as NSDC to groom and harness the skills of the participants to reach the next level, so that they come out with flying colours at the global arena.
BSDM envisions that this initiative will create awareness amongst the youth of Bihar and embolden them to harness their skills either acquired through heritance or imbibed at different institutions and compete with the global competition.